As part of Cool Story, Bro's super fun allure, there are a couple different types of game play. By now I'm sure you know it's first and foremost a platformer (at times a challenging one at that), but we also have a totally chill little puzzle game where you get to open up the hood of your sweet ride and really get up in there with your mad engine building skillz. Or don't. It's up to you.
Periodically along your journey you will experience car troubles. It happens to the best of us, bro. When this happens you have the opportunity to use engine parts that you’ve acquired along your travels to fix it. Connect the pieces to give your engine some much needed health. Or if you’re feeling kind of slack, you can just throw some pipes in there and then hit the road regardless of how functional it is. You’ll probably have tinkered enough to get at least a few miles ahead.
Right now this engine repair portion of our game is functional, but not completely ready. Ideally you can rotate the pieces, but for now it’s been tricky to get them to do right on the iPad, so we’ve just been playing our personal demo version without. It’s much, much more challenging this way. Believe me. But it’s kind of fun too. You’d think the engine repair would just be a formality in between levels, but it’s actually pretty cool to just sit back and try to complete as much of the engine as possible. As of yet there’s no time limit, so we get to mess with it to our hearts’ content.
I thought the above picture was very fitting while sharing with you our engine repair game. What you are seeing here is the inner workings of our now defunct ‘95 Eclipse. Bob, Steve and I were headed back from an awesome lunch at Souper!Salad! when our car started overheating and fuming out steam. We were on the highway when it lost power, so we pulled to the shoulder. Looking under the hood revealed a lot more steam, plus a whole bunch of green coolant that had been spewed all over the inside of the hood. We had a crack in our radiator tube. My first thought was to call AAA to get towed, but of course the guys figured it’d be in our better interest to fix it themselves using nothing but their wits and the little scraps of tire littering the side of the highway. So what you see here is a picture of their “repair”. It’s a flap of rubber from a tire that had blown out, now wrapped around the upper radiator tube with said tire’s inner threading. Now think about this. These tubes get crazy amounts of pressure flowing through them once the car is running, while the hand tied threads and rubber holding it closed were from a tire that was weak enough to explode. Given that, my theory was that we should just wait for the tow truck (which we did), but Bob and Steve were near dead set on driving that sucker home. In the end I got my way and we got the car fixed later on, but to this day Steve maintains that we could have driven it the last few miles home. I guess we’ll never really know. At least in CSB the car would’ve made it.